Filed under: Desserts | Tags: dessert, rice cereal treats, salt and brown butter
Rice Cereal Treats are hard to improve on, but I have found a way, thanks to a fellow food blogger, http://www.smittenkitten.com. She posted this recipe and I knew that I had to try them. I altered the recipe a little and substituted real butter to earth balance (a vegan butter substitute because my son has dairy allergies), so my son can partake in eating them.
The salt and extra butter put these treats on a whole new level. Browning the butter makes it that much better or should I say that much nuttier. I was not sure if kids would like the new version, but it was a huge hit.
1/2 cup butter or earth balance
1 teaspoon salt
1 10.5 oz bag of marshmellows
6 cups puffed rice cereal
1. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Let it turn a light brown to add an extra layer of flavor.
2. Add salt.
3. Add marshmellows and stir until completely melted.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in cereal and continue to stir until well coated.
6. Using a buttered spatula or waxpaper, press mixture evenly into13x9 pan.
7. Cut into squares when cool.
I do not know anyone that does not like a rice cereal treat, so for it and make them and share. I have even froze them, but you will not have any left if you make them.
Pull up a chair, Elizabeth
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment